Sunday 5 July 2020

The Third Book The 17th Chapter - Demon of Change


                           Demon of Change
July 4, 2020

Once you identify your “whys”, you can begin implementing change towards a healthier and more positive mindset. Have you determined what triggered past choices that didn't serve your growth and development? Evaluating your triggers is just as important as your growth. It is important you understand the trauma that you went through before your rebirth. Usually, this trauma triggers you to make thoughtless choices. You may find after a contrary decision has been made, you're filled with regret, confusion, and a general feeling of “that wasn't me”, but yet it had happened. As this negative cycle becomes part of your past, sometimes a reminder from someone else may provide that little nudge so you can also turn your life around.

Do you have a story that should be told so that others can learn and grow from your experience?  However, feel that sharing your story is hard and that hiding from shame is easier. This is my story, as I have shared and grown, I have helped others through my writing. It is a story I didn't want to share, but as I thought about it, felt the need to share.

Have you ever heard about the local mechanic that makes sure that everyone else's car is running correctly, but his isn’t? Something as subtle as making sure everyone ‘s car is functioning correctly while neglecting their own is paramount. As I was writing words on paper, they came from a place of kindness, love and support. Through those words though, I was hiding a secret.  My secret was that I had spent many years as a highly functioning alcoholic.

I genuinely put in the effort to help others, but for years forgot to help and myself. My car was broken, and as I tried to function, I fooled myself into believing I didn't have a problem. I would put my all into everything I did, including drinking alcohol. I thought it was controlled, and it was hidden, but it controlled me. I had a successful career, a loving family and what appeared to be a seemingly perfect life. On Father's Day, I realized for the first time in years as I cooked for my family the value of not drinking. I felt a sense of connection with my family and the clarity of the day I hadn’t previously experienced. Fast-forward to June 24 after an extensive amount of realization, I made a decision to not drink alcohol again. 

My daughter had mentioned a few times she was concerned about my drinking. However, I rationalized that I didn't drink and drive, I always got my work done, and my family was healthy, so I didn't have a problem. As I thought about it more, I began to realize that the many impulsive choices and actions that I made while I was drinking never served to provide value to others or myself around me. The drinking pushed people away, causing me more pain resulting in drinking even more. All the while on the surface, I pretended I was in control and didn't have a problem. Even though I knew I was making positive changes in my life and becoming a better person, the alcohol was slowing down this process and kept my mind in a fog.

After Father's Day, I was once again alone with a clear head. I realized for me to actualize the value of the changes and begin to build upon them, I had to make one more change. With clarity, I knew my next step on my continued growth and my continued relationship with Christ; I had to stop abusing alcohol.
On June 24, I did. I have since felt I couldn't share in writing until this morning. I was speaking with my mentor and shared that I thought “my car was broken” and I needed to repair it before I started to share again. He asked me why I wouldn’t share my story.  In a moment, my mind changed and realized I had to share this painful experience that I hid for so long.

As each day passes, sometimes it is challenging to honour my commitment, but when times are challenging, I remember the benefits I have already received in the short time since this positive choice. Something as simple as being able to walk soberly to board an airplane, not pretending to be sober. Something as simple as enjoying a lunch conversation at a level of connection that it wasn’t possible under the fog of alcohol. Something as simple as being in the moment and realizing the positive changes I have made is more valuable recognizing them “when”, not “after” they happen.

Whatever you strive for in your life, your desired outcome is set into motion with the decisions you make in every second. If these millions of timely decisions are not in alignment with your desired outcome and your passion for your life, you'll never arrive at your destination of success. You might want to blame others for your lack of progress or talk yourself into denial like I had, but for valuable change to occur in your life, you need to ask yourself honest questions. If you haven't completed flushing out your demons, your choices will then make it nearly impossible to enjoy life fully and live in the moment. We were given a life of free will and a life that is up to us to live with abundance, love, and kindness. All we have to do is make each decision count to where our happiness lies.

Trust me, one of the most challenging decisions you will make is to conquer your demons and make the decision they will no longer control your life. Once that happens, the changes you have made will magnify and you will gain strength. You will also feel uncomfortable. Embrace this feeling because once you feel it, you will know you are changing and growing. If you haven't already experienced it, you will feel a better sense of satisfaction in your life. It is so worth the hard work and dedication you are putting in to repair yourself.

I am so grateful that my kids and family didn't give up on me. I have realized they believed in me the entire time. So if you feel stuck and you haven’t reached the uncomfortable feeling of growth, pause for a moment and listen. Listen to the words of someone that cares about you as they're speaking your truth. Embrace that gift, build your momentum, and never look back.                   

No comments:

Post a Comment