Friday 12 June 2020

The Third Book The 14th Chapter - My Mesa


My Mesa
June 12, 2020
In the last chapter, the theme was removing fear barriers in order to receive your gifts of life and provide value to others. The small decisions you make can lead to moments that are greater than yourself. Your greatness happens through building your momentum, "the mighty mo", as referred to by John Maxwell. When you initially put your plans into action, a small speed bump can stop you. However, by continuing to make decisions that add to your life's work, with momentum, you can overcome significant life obstacles. Remaining still, you will not gain the momentum needed to overcome them.

I will share a story about how fear held me back for many years and how it changed my life once I conquered it. Over the last 15 years, I have been blessed with a few incredible life and business mentors. One is my great friend and mentor, Joe P. Joe P and his wife have a 2nd home in Mesa AZ they enjoy as a getaway from the cold winter months in Western Canada.

As our relationship developed over several years, Joe invited me numerous times to visit in Mesa. I politely declined, as I was fearful that if I visited, I might have overstayed my welcome. I was afraid that I would lose an incredible friend and mentor. As the years passed, I finally realized someday Joe might stop inviting me. The opportunity would be closed, and even though I might still have a friend, the gifts of what may lay in Mesa would never be discovered.

On a cold winter day, I reached out to Joe and asked if they were open to me making a visit. His immediate response was, "absolutely, and we can't wait to see you, pal." Fast-forward a few months; I was on my way to Mesa. As the trip was approaching, I was nervous about how the visit would go, yet excited about the adventures that lay ahead.
One of the gifts I experienced, I hadn't anticipated when I walked through Joe's front door. Have you ever had a meeting or an experience that you knew was significant, but didn't realize it's meaning at the time? The only thing you did know was that something out of the ordinary had just occurred. As I met the other people in the room, one stood out from the rest, and that was Melanie. During the time I stayed, the group of newfound friends and I enjoyed many conversations full of sharing, laughter, and each other's company.

A few months prior to the visit, my first book had been published. I knew I needed an editor to help polish the words I had put on paper.  As time went on, it became more apparent that I needed an editor, as I was aware I was missing a vital piece of the team. I knew from my business career the importance of having team support, and without it, it was challenging to experience success and accomplishments.

Over a three-year period, I had searched for an editor but was never able to find the right person. In August, I gave my life to Christ and resumed a relationship that I had ignored for my adult life. It during that time that my writing began conveying the message of Christ to continue providing value to others. When I wrote the 12th chapter of this book, the thought came to me to share it with Melanie. However, I ignored the thought and didn't act upon it because of fear of rejection, and once again, the possibility of losing a good friend. I was afraid the quality of my work, combined with a spiritual-based tone, would create a response of nonacceptance.

As time went on, I still felt I needed to share the 12th chapter. So one afternoon, I drummed up the courage and asked Melanie if she would read a short section on my current book. She agreed and responded shortly after sharing her opinion; this was good. The next thing that happened I couldn't believe and I was utterly shocked. Without me asking, she provided several edits to my work that made it easier to read and much better than the raw copy I had sent. The gift that was flowing before my eyes was incredible, and I had no idea that would have been the outcome of sharing chapter 12.

It was in that moment I realized I found my editor. It was in that moment I realized if I hadn't taken that first step over three years prior to visit Mesa, I would not have found my editor. The next big hurdle was asking Melanie if she would become an editor for my book. Initially, I assumed she would decline, as she is a very successful businesswoman and wouldn't have time to devote to such an undertaking. Once again, I was surprised by her response, "I have always wanted to be an editor." Remember when I noted that once you conquer your fears, not only will you receive the value of your accomplishments, but usually someone else does too. A gift was given to both of us that could not have been foreseen many years earlier when I had initially declined the invitation to visit Mesa AZ. I realized a pattern of accomplishment could not be achieved alone. It truly takes multiple people aligning, working together and sharing a vision of achievement.

I have realized if you want to supersize your accomplishments, allow Christ to be the one partner you never go without. Since I have allowed myself to get closer to Christ, I have felt my accomplishments and value to others grow at a higher level than ever before. One of the greatest gifts I have been able to realize at a higher level is the gift of my family and the moments we share. Christ will allow you to build strength that you wouldn't have on your own. Christ will allow you to take that first step to build your momentum and confidence so you can achieve more than ever before.

No comments:

Post a Comment